Sometimes it is good to revisit a topic because it is relevant every year – Germs. We posted this last year – an oldie but a goodie.
Yes, it is that time of year when cold, flu and other germs seem to creep into every nook and cranny. A January Allure magazine has an interesting page of germ facts including a tip that hand sanitizer should still be wet on your hands for at least 10-15 seconds to be effective (and be sure to rub – friction helps break the bacteria cell walls helping to kill the little buggers).
What was really amazing in the Allure story were some statistics related to the make-up counter (and Dr. Oz has reported similar information):
- 67% of make-up testers were contaminated with staph, strep, or E. coli on the average weekday.
- 100% were contaminated on a Saturday, when traffic is highest at the make-up counter.
So it makes sense to use a little caution at the mall and in general to make sure you keep germs at bay. Here are some tips:
- As a general rule: Be sure your hands and face are clean before applying cosmetics, creams and lotions.
- Yes, bacteria are everywhere. It’s a fact of life. Your hands are exposed to germs all the time and the bacteria on your hands can easily transmit germs to your eye and could cause infections. Be sure to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer before applying eye cosmetics and try to limit touching your face in general as it will help decrease germ exposure.
- Don’t share your cosmetics with others. A friend is a friend, but their germs may not be friendly, so the best way to share is a foil sample!
- Keep containers clean. Don’t allow cosmetics to become covered with dust or contaminated with dirt or other products.
- Don’t store cosmetics at temperatures above 85 degrees F. Cosmetics held for long periods in hot cars, for example, are more susceptible to deterioration of the preservative.
- Look for the expiration date or recommended shelf life after opening information – if it is old toss it.
- And it is just common sense that if it looks or smells bad it’s gotta go!
Best friend miserable with a winter cold? How about an Apothederm Kit – the perfect TLC to help her be on the mend.