November is National Healthy Skin Care Month
November is a transitional month for weather changing where fall becomes colder and darker. In honor of National Healthy Skin Care Month we are sharing our best tips for winter skin relief and maintenance.
For tips on how to maintain healthy skin, here are some suggestions:
- Wear sunscreen and change SPF based on season. Did you know that UVA rays can penetrate clouds? Even if the sun is not visible, sunscreen should always be applied. If you feel like you may not need as much then use a product with a lower sun protection factor (aka SPF) than you would use in the summer but still use something!
- Wash your face daily to remove dirt, oil, sweat and make-up. Consider changing your cleanser to avoid stripping your skin of moisture. We recommend using a cleanser for sensitive or dry skin (Apothederm Moisturizing Cleanser). It is also good to wash your face in lukewarm temperatures and avoid hot water which can irritate skin.
- Exfoliate 2 to 3 times per week. A build up of dead skin cells on your face can cause dull skin, blemishes and can make you look older than you really are. Your skin is delicate so make sure to choose an exfoliant made specifically for the face (Apothederm Facial Enzyme Exfoliant). A gentle scrub a few times a week can work wonders. Don’t forget your body! Dead skin cells gather in places you don’t even want to talk about. Body scrubs (Apothederm Body Scrub) are generally made with larger granules to help with tougher skin areas such as elbows, legs, arms and feet. Both your face and body will benefit from a little “scrub-a-dub-dub!”
- Drink water to stay hydrated. Water depletion can lead to dehydration and stress.
- Eat a balanced diet. Vitamin deficiency is stressful on your health which then also leads to stressed skin and breakouts. If you should have a breakout we recommend Apothederm Acne Clarifying Treatment for spot treatment.
- Dry, wind chapped skin. Moisturize your skin and be responsible with it during dry and cold months. Be cautious in cold weather and take care of skin by covering it up with a scarf and reducing time spent in below freezing temperatures. (Apothederm Moisturizing Cream and Apothederm Nourishing Serum)
- Dry hands and feet. Hydrate hands and feet with lotions morning and night. Keep hands covered with gloves to protect them from colder temperatures and if feet and heels become rough. Dry hands can lead to dry cuticles and cracked or split fingernails. Apothederm Argan Oil is a quick fix when applied to cuticles.