Today is National Homemade Soup Day (February 4th).
February is National Heart Disease month and focuses on learning about heart disease risks and how to improve heart health. Here are some healthy recipes from Go Red For Women on how to make heart healthy options at home.
Here is a heart healthy soup recipe from one our own. We sampled it last week and it was very good.
Portabella Mushroom – Black Truffle Soup
2 lbs. portabella and/or Baby Bella mushrooms
2 shallots, diced
2 cloves crushed garlic
4 T. Trader Joe’s Black Truffle Infused Olive Oil
¼ t. dried thyme
6-7 c. Swanson’s 50% Less Sodium Beef Broth, or other low sodium broth
Black pepper to taste
- Cleaned, trim & chop the mushrooms.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mushrooms, shallots, garlic, and thyme and cook until soft and browned, stirring often.
- Add the stock and increase temperature to bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree batches of soup in a well-covered blender, processing until smooth and all the soup has been made creamy. If it is too thick, add a little water to get it to your desired consistency.
- Return soup to saucepan and heat. Season to taste with freshly ground pepper.
- When ready to serve, garnish with parsley and/or pesto for added flavor.
Timesaver Tip: Mushrooms can be made ahead and refrigerated. Blenderize cold using cold broth and then heat to serve