As the temperatures fall, your skin is beginning to come under a gradual assault. Some of us are keenly aware of this attack to the epidermis and have already made preparations to protect the body’s largest and most vulnerable organ. Others of us are oblivious to the struggle even though signs of damage may already be present. Winter is the enemy of supple, smooth skin and now is the time to recognize how its radiance and glow can be diminished by the elements. Here is some information all of you who are concerned with protecting your skin throughout the winter months from excessive dryness should take to heart.
Sigs of Skin Dehydration
- Itchiness: Wind and extreme temperatures can remove the moisture from your epidermis (the outer layer of skin). This in turn can cause itching and an irritated sensation. One way to reverse this effect is by using a hydrating face moisturizer. Our hydrating face moisturizer and hydrating cream for the face contains essential lipids (Vitamin F) which protects the skin against moisture lost during cleansing.
- Increased Sensitivity: According to the International Dermal Institute, “dryness and dehydration are precursors to sensitized skin.”
- Fine Lines & Wrinkles: Skin care experts recommend that you pinch the skin on your cheek to see if fine lines appear. If they do, the likely cause is dehydration.
The Benefits of Keeping Your Skin Hydrated
Ask any skincare expert and they will tell you that the single most important thing you can do for your skin is to keep it properly hydrated especially during the cold dry months of fall and winter. Moisture helps give your skin that healthy, elastic quality necessary for a youthful appearance. There are other benefits to maintaining proper moisture levels in your skin as well. Those include:
- Less oily skin: When your skin is excessively dry this is a signal for your glands to produce more oil in order to protect it. Keeping your skin properly hydrated keeps it from becoming exceptionally oily and protects it from damage.
- Less dull looking skin: The skin becomes more dehydrated as we grow older and this in turn makes our skin appear dull and ashy. By using a combination of hydrating creams and cleansers, you can reinvigorate dry and listless looking skin.
Yes, Apothederm has an entire arsenal of products designed to protect your skin from the assault it will be facing this fall and winter. Since we are already in the midst of autumn, you should consider stocking up on our moisturizers and our other products that protect the skin. Other things you can do to stay hydrated, apart from applying our products, are to drink plenty of water, refrain from smoking, and eat a healthy diet.