Here’s a myth that some of us harbor: Exfoliation is an added feature of a normal skincare regimen that is unnecessary and not worth the time it takes to do so. In fact, nothing could be farther from the truth. Exfoliation is a vital part of a smart and effective skincare regime. Simply washing the skin every night is not enough to maintain healthy, youthful skin. Make time to exfoliate as it protects and nourishes the skin in many ways. Here are several benefits of exfoliation.
- It improves skin tone: Exfoliating at its heart is the removal of dead skin cells and other impurities from the skin. Removing these impurities helps your skin tone balance out by allowing fresh, healthy cells to grow in the place of those that have died. Our enzyme body exfoliator and body scrub exfoliating cream contain the enzyme papain which helps remove damaged skin cells to reveal vital glowing skin.
- It makes your skin smoother: According to dermatologist Elma Baron, exfoliating helps produce smoother skin by removing the rough, damaged skin cells that makes your skin feel rough and dry.
- Decreases greasy skin: No one likes overly oily skin. Exfoliation helps to unblock pores which controls the build-up of sebum. (Sebum is an oily substance secreted by the sebaceous glands.)
- Helps to lessen ingrown hairs: When you shave ingrown hair can form below the skin. Exfoliating can help get rid of those ingrown hairs.
- Helps fight wrinkles: As we age, the skin’s natural exfoliation process becomes less efficient and needs help. This results in the formation of dead skin cells that should be removed in order to increase the production of youthful, healthy skin cells. A product like our body scrub exfoliating cream helps remove these damaged skin cells and retards wrinkles.
Those are the whys of exfoliation. The how’s are just as important. You should rub exfoliator into your skin gently and follow its application with a moisturizer. Also, be sure to use a gentle brush, sponge or facial scrub when you apply your exfoliator. It is advised that you exfoliate three nights a week and that you use a mild scrub twice a week in order to remove dead skins cells. The goal of exfoliation is to derive the maximum benefit from the process without irritating the skin. At Apothederm, we utilize skincare science in order to improve the exfoliating process so necessary to producing vital, vibrant skin. We use Carica Papaya Fruit Extract which gently exfoliates the skin reducing fine lines and wrinkles. This is bolstered by the addition of Vitamin E and other antioxidants to our skin care products.