Even a cursory glance of health related issues on the Internet will eventually expose most people to countless articles that mention anti-oxidants and their interaction with free radicals. The take away that many have is simple – antioxidants are good; free radicals are bad. But how much do you really know about these two substances and how they affect your health? At Apothederm we strive to make sure that you know as much about the ingredients contained in our products as possible so that you will make smart decisions about your skincare regime.
What are Antioxidants and Free Radicals?
Antioxidants are substances that prevent or stop cell damage caused by oxidants. Oxidants are free radicals that are produced both in the environment and naturally within the body. Put simply, free radicals are molecules that cause the deterioration of not just your skin – resulting in visible signs of aging – but also of plastics, paint, etc. They are produced in our bodies but they are also formed by pollution, sunlight and smoking all of which directly affect the radiance and elasticity of our skin.
How do Antioxidants Protect Our Skin?
Antioxidants help to protect the skin by donating an electron to a free radical so that the free radical doesn’t have to take the electron from the skin’s atoms. This helps protect the skin damage that might otherwise be caused by those free radicals. This is why antioxidants are such an important component to many anti-aging skin care systems. Antioxidants that have been shown to fight prematurely aging skin are:
- Vitamin E – One of the most well known antioxidants, vitamin E (tocopherol) protects the skin by boosting collagen production and reducing fine lines, wrinkles and age spots.
- Lycopene – Found in red fruits and vegetables, this carotenoid reduces DNA damage caused by free radicals.
- Green Tea – This antioxidant contains chemicals called catechins, which repairs cell damage done to the skin by the environment.
- Grape Seed – Extracted from vitis vinifera, grape seed contains proanthocyanidins which scavenges for harmful free radicals.
- Vitamin C – L-ascorbic acid helps boost collagen production.
Apothederm’s anti-aging system includes the antioxidants Vitamins C, E and A, green tea and grape seed extract as well as peptides that protect and re-invigorate the skin causing a reduction in the presence of wrinkles and fine lines. Our approach to fighting aging skin is our anti-aging skin care system which contains: Firming Serum, Hydrating Eye Cream, Moisturizing Cream and Moisturizing Cleanser. Hopefully, this information will make you better informed about our anti-aging products and the interaction between antioxidants and free radicals.