Enjoy a slice of pie today for National Pie Day. When you choose your slice or variety of pie to make, select a flavor that gives you a boost of antioxidants. It will pack more power to your day and also less guilt. Blueberries are a great source of antioxidants and a great choice as a pie filler. Here is one of our favorite recipes for blueberry pie, enjoy!
Blueberry Lime Pie
1 – 9” deep dish frozen pie crust, thawed
For the pie filling:
¾ to 1 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
½ cup all-purpose flour
6 cup blueberries
2 limes – zest & juice from each
For the crumble:
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
½ cup old fashioned oatmeal
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place blueberries in a large bowl. Add sugar, flour, lime juice & zest. Mix together and pour into pie crust.
- In a small bowl, make crumble using a fork or your fingers to mix butter, flour and brown sugar until a crumb forms. Mix in oatmeal and spices and then sprinkle crumble evenly over top of blueberry filling before baking.
- Cover top of pie loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 25 to 30 minutes, until top is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Read here for more information on antioxidants and how they can benefit your skin.