One of the tried and true methods of testing skin elasticity is the pinch test. It works like this: pinch a small section of your skin, hold it for 5 seconds and then release that area and note how quickly it flattens out. Younger, more elastic skin flattens out quickly; older skin that has lost its elasticity flattens out slowly. If your skin does bounce back slowly, however, there are ways to help tighten it. One of those ways is to use products like our face firming serum. Our serum tightens and hydrates loose skin using our SmartPeptides®. Another method that helps to restore elasticity to your skin and hold back the other signs of aging is exercise. Here are a few suggested face toning exercises you may wish to add to your everyday beauty routine.
- The Sphinx smile: This exercise consists of lifting the corners of your mouth to smile while keeping your eyes neutral and is recommended by Yoga instructor Annelise Hagen. She is the author of the book “The Yoga Face.”
- Forehead: Put your fingers on your eyelids and keep them still while raising your eyebrows. This should be done daily until you can do the exercise without using your fingers.
- Forehead stretches: Place your index fingers on your forehead and pull your skin outward. Repeat this exercise 10X daily.
- Eyebrow lifts: With two fingers in the shape of a peace sign place your fingernails over each eyebrow gently pushing that skin down with your fingers. After a time alternate pushing your brows up and down. Do this ten times for each brow.
- The eye squeeze: Squeeze your eyes shut tight while using your mouth muscles for extra resistance. Hold for awhile and release. Alternate one eye at a time and repeat 10 times at first every day. Eventually, work up to doing 3 sets of 10 every night.
- The smile: Slowly begin with a narrow smile and then slowly build to a broader smile in order to strengthen the many face muscles that support the skin. Eventually, relax your smile to the starting point.
Finally, exercise is just one of many tools that can help you combat loose skin. Gravity may be a wonderful thing in that it keeps us from hurtling off into space but it and time are enemies in the battle against loose, aging skin. Products like our nourishing serum and other products, along with these and other exercises can help slow down the negative signs of aging.