I know what you’re thinking, there’s an acne awareness month? Yes, in fact, there is; the American Acne and Rosacea Society (AARS) declared June “Acne Awareness Month” back in 2009 to bring awareness to the issue and inform health care providers about acne. Here are some quick ideas on how to celebrate:
- Try our Acne Clarifying System Kit. It includes our Acne Clarifying Toner, our Brightening Cleanser, and our Acne Clarifying Treatment.
- Visit a local day spa, or make a mask at home using ingredients from your kitchen. Look up some recipes online. DIY masks are very easy to make and often very beneficial for your skin.
- Research how acne develops and some of the common misconceptions about it. You may be surprised by what you find. For example, it’s a myth that acne is triggered by food.
- Commit to changing your pillowcase more frequently. Oils can build up and cause more acne when you sleep. Try to change it once a week.
- Start a face routine, and commit to it for at least a month. Your skin will be clearer before you know it, and your routine will have become a habit.
- Try to go makeup free for a day, or examine your makeup products and make sure they don’t contain irritants or acne-genic ingredients. Give your skin a break, and put some thought about what you put on it.
- Commit to removing your makeup before hitting
the gym and washing your face after your workout. Sweat can get trapped under your makeup and potentially cause acne, and post-workout session sweat can cause more acne.
- Feed your face and eat some healthier, skin-benefiting foods. Look for foods with lots of vitamins and antioxidants, like these: sweet potatoes, spinach, carrots, nuts, berries, and oranges.
- Drink lots of water! You will hydrate your skin and help get rid of toxins.
So, there are a few ideas to celebrate the remainder of Acne Awareness Month. But acne awareness doesn’t have to end on July 1st; these are great habits to keep up throughout the year in order to put your best face forward.
Written by Jessica, intern.