A first and often overlooked component of developing an effective skincare regimen is choosing products that work well with an individual’s skin type. For example, a product designed for people with normal skin – skin that is neither too oily nor dry – is not likely to benefit people with oily, problem skin. This is why it is essential for each individual to know which skin type he/she possesses so that he/she can determine which products will work best.
There are basically five different skin types. The manufacturers of skincare products keep this in mind when designing their serums, washes, etc. Those types are:
- Combination skin: This type of skin usually feels oily in the area surrounding the T-zone (forehead, nose and chin) and can be slightly dry in other areas.
- Sensitive skin: People with sensitive skin often react negatively to regular skincare products. Often products not specifically designed for people with sensitive skin can cause reactions such as rashes, itchiness, etc.
- Normal skin: People with this skin type generally have a complexion that is radiant and shows few imperfections.
- Oily skin: People with oily skin have complexions that are greasy or shiny looking.
- Dry skin: Dry skin often feels cracked and flaky, especially during the winter months.
How to Determine Your Skin Type
There are many factors which can affect your skin type such as heredity, environment, diet and medication. Unfortunately, it is not always easy to determine what your skin type is since there is a deluge of information on the subject online. To help you decide which skin type you posses here are some steps you can take.
- Wash your face: This will give you a fresh start in determining your skin type. After doing so, wait an hour and pat the area around your T-zone with a tissue.
- Notice how your skin feels after cleansing: How your skin feels after cleansing greatly helps to determine your skin type. For example, normal skin will feel clean and clear after cleansing and need little moisturizing. Dry skin, will require more moisturizer etc.
- Look at your pores: The size of your pores can help determine skin type as well. People who have normal skin have pores that do not change greatly after cleansing. People who have oily skin often have pores that are easily clogged etc.
In short, knowing your skin type is the first step to developing a regimen that will maximize the health and appearance of your skin. At Apothederm we have products that are suitable for all skin types. Our washes, scrubs and serums – such as our age defying products and our anti-aging hair products – are also backed by scientific studies to prove their safety and effectiveness.