We’ve all heard the saying that “the eyes are the windows to the soul.” Well the skin may be the window to the overall health and wellness of the entire body. This is the principle behind one of the oldest and most natural methods of diagnosing not just the health of the skin but the whole body. This ancient technique is called “face mapping.” It is based on Ayurveda practices and ancient Chinese medicine and is now being investigated by Western dermatologist for its intriguing possibilities. Put simply, the practice involves mapping and then drawing a connection between areas of your face and the health of your inner organs. With this method skin that lacks luster, and is dull and prone to breakouts is an outward expression of the body’s overall health. Within this system, acne blemishes are marked off in X-shaped patterns on the face. The condition of skin within these X-marked areas signals that there may be some damage or injury to the inner organs. Here are some of the facial zones that are associated with imbalances within the body.
- Forehead: Reveals poor digestion, toxic build up and lack of hydration. Dermatologists recommend drinking plenty of water in order to maintain proper hydration levels.
- T-zone: Acne blemished here could potentially signal liver dysfunction.
- Around the eyes: This area is associated with kidney health.
- Upper cheeks: The cheeks are associated with lung health.
- Lower cheeks: According to board-certified dermatologist Dr. Michael Shapiro, this area reflects the body’s dental health.
- Nose: Swelling and blemishes here are said to mirror the health of the heart. Here, Shapiro recommends diet modification to be a helpful aid in restoring health to the body and skin. Particularly, he suggests lowering salt intake and consuming more fresh vegetables.
- Ears: This area is said to reflect a person’s kidney health and also signals that a person may lack proper hydration.
- Chin: Small intestine health is said to be represented by this area of the face.
As you can see, face mapping is being used to help acne sufferers in particular, shape a more holistic approach to skin and whole body health and wellness. At Apothederm, we believe that diet, exercise and natural products play a role too in maintaining healthy skin. This is why our acne treatment contains natural ingredients that are scientifically proven to be effective against acne breakouts and why we recommend them as only one part of an overall fitness and beauty program. The acne cream and similar products we sell can help with protecting the skin and restoring its vitality.