Today is Galentine’s day.
“We need to remember what’s important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn’t matter, but work is third.” Leslie Knope, Parks and Recreation, NBC show. Leslie Knope was played by Amy Poehler.
What is Galentine’s Day?
Galentine’s Day came from Amy Poehler’s character, Leslie Knope, on the NBC show Parks and Recreation where she claimed the day before Valentine’s Day as a day to celebrate your girlfriends. These are the friends who are there for you on good days and bad. Spend time with friends or if you have previous plans today, call or text them to let them know you appreciate them. Indulge in a meal and catch up – possibly with carbohydrates of the breakfast variety. Waffles would work.
Why are we obsessed with it today?
We often overlook the strength that we get from these relationships until we are in turmoil and are seeking help. Our day to day lives can become inundated with tasks and appointments that create a flurry and lead us to feel busy and overwhelmed. We often forget about or set aside making time to develop and nurture relationships. Therefore we are reminded on this day to celebrate the friends who make us who make us smile and also inspire us to challenge life and reach for the stars.
What activities do women do for Galentine’s Day?
A call, text or email would work if there is not time to meet up. If you have a chance to meet up to celebrate, here are some ideas:
- Movie marathon. Here are some movie suggestions from Vanity Fair.
- Meet for waffles or other breakfast food. This could be done at any meal, including dinner. Make them at home or go out. Here is a great recipe for chocolate waffles from Joy The Baker.
- Happy hour – wine and small bites
- Go sweat it out. Work out together with a friend can help with performance as well and feel great.
- If you can’t meet up on the actual day, then schedule a time to catch up soon. It is the act of showing importance for the friendship but sometimes life happens. Plan a date and mark it on your calendar to meet up.
#happygalentinesday #friendship #womenandwaffles