Loose, baggy skin that hangs from the neck like empty pouches – This is what is commonly known as having a “turkey neck.” Whatever one chooses to call it, this unsightly condition is – along with dark circles around the eyes – one of the telltale signs of aging. But what causes turkey neck and what are some of the ways it can be prevented short of plastic surgery?
What causes “turkey neck?”
Age and hereditary factors are among the most common causes of loose skin around the neck. Another factor that contributes to “turkey neck” is simple neglect. Many people ignore this part of the body during their daily beauty routine. This is unfortunate since we have an anti-aging neck cream that is designed to help your skin remain tight while at the same time supple. Finally, environmental factors such as sun exposure also play a role in causing the skin around the neck to become less firm over time.
The first step to developing an effective strategy for fighting loose neck skin is prevention. Start by making sure that you do not neglect this area during your beauty regimen. Other steps you can take to prevent “turkey neck” include:
- Limit your exposure to UVA/UVB radiation: We all know that life would be impossible without the sun. It is the giver of life on planet earth. It is also the biggest contributor of free radical damage to the skin in general and to the skin around the neck in particular.
- Stay hydrated: If the sun is one giver of life on this planet, then water is the other. Keeping your skin properly hydrated helps the skin retain its elasticity.
- Apply a moisturizer daily: Moisturizers boost collagen production which in turn protects the skin. Our stretch mark products utilize the latest skin care science to prevent dull, saggy skin.
The second step to developing an effective strategy is to integrate several products and strategies into your skin care routine. Some tips you can use to treat “turkey neck” include:
- Apply an anti-aging neck cream: This will help improve your skin’s texture. Skin on the neck is thinner than skin on other parts of the body therefore it needs special care.
- Use an exfoliator: Using an exfoliator will allow your skin to more easily absorb anti-aging creams and other products.
- Avoid sudden weight loss: Losing weight quickly can cause your skin to become loose in order to accommodate your body change.
Yes, “turkey necks” look fine on turkeys but before you resign yourself to having loose skin around the neck consider integrating these strategies into your skin care routine.