Having dark skin that is even all over is lovely. Having light skin that is even all over is lovely as well. However, skin that is uneven in overall tone is unappealing to most people. This condition is called hyper-pigmentation and it is an irregular and inconsistent darkening of the skin. An overproduction of melanin – the pigment responsible for skin and hair color – is the main cause for this condition that afflicts many people robbing them of healthy-looking skin. In order to help those who have this kind of skin understand more about this condition, we present some information on uneven skin tone.
The causes of uneven skin
Uneven skin tone can be caused by several environmental factors including:
- Sun exposure: While it is wonderful to have a nice tan, too much exposure to the sun can create brown spots due to the body overproducing melanin to protect it from UV radiation.
- Pollution: Gases and particles from many sources can penetrate the skin and lead to brown spots.
- Hormones: Pregnant women commonly produce hormones that cause a darkening of the skin. This condition is called Melasma.
- Post-Inflammatory Hyper-pigmentation: Acne sufferers are often afflicted with dark skin spots.
How to even out uneven skin
Many women go through great – and as it so happens expensive – lengths to balance out uneven skin tone. Some of the less expensive, yet equally effective, ways include:
- Drinking Lots of Water: Water cleanses the skin from the inside out. Drinking at least 8 to 10 glasses a day can help improve skin tone.
- Use sunscreen daily: As we stated earlier, too much sun damages skin. Wearing sunscreen protects your skin against the harmful effects of UV radiation which at the very least can lead to uneven skin tone and at its worst lead to cancer.
- Keep skin hydrated: People who have acne often have oily, uneven skin tone as well. Moisturizers can help balance out skin that is too oily and have an uneven tone. Our skin products for aging contain moisturizers than can help reduce the occurrence of wrinkles and hydrate the skin.
- Exfoliate: How does exfoliation help? Exfoliation helps rid the body of dead or damaged skin cells that are caused by hyper-pigmentation. We sell a facial scrub to exfoliate the skin that has been clinically proven to improve skin tone.
Yes, skin of all shades can be quite lovely. However, no one desires skin that is uneven in tone. We at Apothederm believe that uneven skin tone can be treated with a number of products for the skin that are safe and scientifically proven to be effective. So, protect yourself from the effects of too much sun and pollution by adding our exfoliating scrubs and moisturizers to your beauty routine.